Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Family Holiday Get Togethers

     With a holiday comes the inevitable family get-together. With some families these get-togethers bring lots of dysfunction &/or frustration. Today at our family get-together my 10 yr old daughter learned a lesson about some things being better left unsaid. This is a hard lesson since you teach your children to be honest but also need to teach them that sometimes complete honesty can be a little mean. My children are older; they are 10 & 15. Their cousins are younger. Younger kids don't always understand boundaries; they just know they love their older cousins & want to be up their butts basically. My kids just came home from a weeks vacation with their younger cousins which probably caused some of my daughter's frustration today. As we were leaving the family cookout my nephew asked my daughter why we were leaving to which my daughter, in total 10 yr old brutal honesty replied to get away from you annoying me. Of course my nephews feelings were hurt, rightfully so. And my daughter had to apologize.
     Then we had to explain to my daughter why even if that is how you are honestly feeling you don't say it to someone since it is hurtful. After many tears from my daughter, I think she came to understand that discretion is the better part of valor. And we continued our 4th celebration by making our annual trip to 4th Fest. If you have never taken your family, we highly recommend it. They have so many great things going on. You may even be able to catch a Spikes game. Happy 4th everyone!!

No comments:

Importance of Coaches